Google has just released its ‘best stuff of the year’ on Google Play for 2014 based on the most downloaded content. It is not all that different from Apple’s list.
The Walking Dead, Frozen, and Fancy by Iggy Azalea all placed at the top of the list in their respective categories. However, the app position varied a bit from that of Apple’s list that is an editorial decision while Google focuses on downloads.
Google said top apps, including Duolingo (which made Apple’s list last year), Facebook, MyFitness Pal and Netflix. Google also said that Health and Fitness was the fastest growing app category.
Most Downloaded Apps by Category
- Education – Duolingo
- Social – Facebook
- Health & Fitness – MyFitnessPal
- Entertainment – Netflix
- Music – Pandora
- Sports – NFL Mobile
- Photography – Flipagram
- Travel – TripAdvisor
The Year’s Fastest Growing App Category
Top Downloaded Games
3. Movies & TV
- Album of the Year: Frozen: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
- Song of the Year: Dark Horse by Katy Perry
- Song of the Summer: Fancy by Iggy Azalea
News Sources of the Year:
- The New York Times
- Forbes Now
- The Verge
- The Huffington Post
- The Daily Beast
- The Wall Street Journal
- Android Central
Some of the most read articles of 2014:
- Flavorwire – 15 ’90s Teen Heartthrobs Who’ve Resurfaced on TV
- Mental Floss – 50 More Awesome Facts (About Everything)
- MarketWatch – 10 most miserable cities in America
- Houzz – Bathroom Workbook: How Much Does a Bathroom Remodel Cost?
- The Verge – The Verge Awards: the best of CES 2014
Books of the Year:
Here’s an illustration of above listed apps, games, movies, music, news and books, designed by Google Play.