Online markets are expanding quite quickly right now. Analysts report that global marketplaces will make up 40% of the internet retail business worldwide in 2020. According to 75% of American marketing professionals, selling on internet marketplaces will increase your company’s sales. This is because you should be where your customers want to shop. Every niche’s requirements are satisfied by the online market; B2B, B2C, and C2C all find value.
Let’s, however, become more specific when discussing the online B2B sector. But first, let’s define an online marketplace.
Read More: Top 5 Tips for Support Your Magento Website
What Is an Online Marketplace?
An online marketplace is a website that facilitates commerce between buyers and sellers. They function as information technology firms that connect buyers and sellers as mediators. Online marketplaces are used by businesses to connect with customers who wish to buy their goods and services. Online marketplaces like Amazon, eBay, and Craigslist are examples.
What Is an Online Marketplace for B2B?
Multi-vendor B2B marketplaces like the options from Virto Commerce connect many sellers and buyers. It is an open platform for buyers and sellers in a certain area of business. This independent online marketplace is managed by a third party. They focus their efforts on creating an interface that enables one company to sell goods and services to another company. Brands, manufacturers, suppliers, and wholesalers are the sellers in a B2B marketplace, and other businesses are the buyers. The marketplace operator processes these transactions electronically. Businesses using this kind of ecommerce marketplace put more emphasis on developing connections and trust with their customers than trying to acquire as many customers as possible to keep them around in the long run. You can access classified advertisements, requests for quotes, or bids in your business sector via an online B2B marketplace if you are willing to pay a fee to participate.
Read More: What is the buying procedure of an NFT?
Features of an Online Marketplace for B2B
B2B marketplaces provide special features that enable clients to compare, engage with, and select items from the top B2B vendors worldwide.
- Filtering and search navigation
- Multi-vendor portal capabilities
- Multi-warehouse management
- Security and confidentiality
- Flexibility to edit purchase orders
- Quote/RFQ/RFP/order negotiations
- Vendor comparison and product bidding workflows
- Approved vendors and vendor management
Read More: How to Boost Sales for an Amazon Store
Types of Online Marketplaces for B2B
Based on the type of business (product or service offered) and the business model, B2B marketplaces can be broadly divided into two groups.
- Horizontal B2B marketplaces: These connect companies from different industries and offer a wide variety of goods and services (from household items to industry-grade products). Examples of the most well-known horizontal B2B marketplaces include Amazon Business, IndiaMART, Udaan, and others.
- Vertical B2B marketplaces: Marketplaces such as those in the textile, automotive, chemical, etc. industries focus on a particular market or sell their products to specialized wholesalers. Typical examples include Toursworld (B2B travel marketplace), Federal-Mogul (automotive), Foursource (textile), Joor (fashion apparel), and ChemPoint (chemical).
We can further divide B2B marketplaces into three groups based on the business model.
- Hybrid marketplaces:These are intricate webs of commercial relationships involving B2B and other business models for goods, services, B2C, and C2C components. In addition to selling directly to retail customers, it assists in serving other enterprises. For instance, hybrid marketplaces that are both B2B and B2C include Amazon and Alibaba. Additionally, eBay serves as an illustration of a hybrid market that mixes the C2C, B2C, and B2B product-based business models.
- B2B product marketplaces: These networks connect suppliers of goods like packaging, office supplies, and furniture and equipment, for example. Buyers can locate essentially any kind of merchandise, for instance, on eBay, Amazon Business, ThomasNet, Alibaba, and Global Source.
- B2B service marketplaces: B2B service markets can aid businesses and organizations by providing them with the necessary services such as employing talent, beauty services, creating content, managing events, catering, etc. Well-known B2B services marketplaces like Toptal and Upwork assist businesses in finding and hiring the world’s top talent.
While there are many prospects in the B2B market, the rivalry is growing more intense. Selling on a B2B ecommerce platform is often a terrific method to increase sales and your B2B network. Achieving the best results in the short- and medium-term might be especially beneficial for individuals with a small marketing budget. Make sure a B2B online marketplace matches your niche’s requirements by carefully examining the elements it offers, as outlined above, before making your choice.