As a YouTube creator or channel manager, you may have considered how to get verified on YouTube. YouTube verification provides you with a badge that appears next to your channel name, letting viewers know that they are on the official version of your page. Being verified on YouTube not only builds trust with your audience but also unlocks additional features to enhance your YouTube marketing strategy. In this comprehensive guide, we will explain what YouTube verification is, outline the benefits of being verified, and provide step-by-step instructions on how to get verified on YouTube.
What is YouTube Verification?
YouTube verification refers to the process where YouTube reviews your profile and confirms that you are who you claim to be. Once your profile is verified, YouTube users can see that your account is legitimate. This verification badge helps build trust with your viewers, as it shows that you are an official channel or account.
YouTube verification offers several benefits that can enhance your YouTube presence and content creation. Let’s explore some of the key advantages:
- Upload Longer Videos: By default, YouTube allows you to upload videos that are 15 minutes long. However, verified accounts have the privilege to upload videos longer than 15 minutes, providing you with more flexibility in sharing your content.
- Livestream on YouTube: To livestream on YouTube, your channel needs to be verified and have no live streaming restrictions in the past 90 days. Verification opens up the opportunity to engage with your audience through live broadcasts, fostering a deeper connection with your viewers.
- Custom Thumbnails: Without verification, you can only choose from the thumbnails that YouTube automatically generates for your videos. However, being verified allows you to upload and use your own custom thumbnails, which can attract more viewers and accurately represent your content.
- Appeal Content ID Claims: Content ID claims occur when your uploaded video matches all or part of another YouTube video. Being verified gives you the ability to dispute these claims, ensuring that your content is protected and you have full control over it.
YouTube Account Verification vs YouTube Verification Badge
It’s important to understand that there are two types of YouTube verification: account verification and channel verification (YouTube verification badge). Let’s take a closer look at each:
Account Verification: Account verification is available to anyone with a YouTube account in good standing. This process involves YouTube sending a verification code to your phone, which you enter to confirm your account’s authenticity. Account verification is primarily aimed at ensuring that you are a real person and not a bot, and it unlocks certain additional features on YouTube.
Channel Verification (YouTube Verification Badge): Channel verification, on the other hand, is available to channels with 100,000 subscribers or more. To verify your channel, you need to submit a verification form to YouTube. They will then review your channel and, if it meets the eligibility criteria, grant you a verified badge. This badge serves as a symbol of trust and authenticity for your viewers.
Who Can Get Verified on YouTube?
To obtain a YouTube verification badge for your channel, you must meet specific eligibility requirements:
- Have a Complete Profile: To be eligible for verification, your YouTube channel must have an active presence with a banner, description, and profile picture. It’s also important to have regularly posted content to demonstrate your commitment to your audience.
- Be Authentic: YouTube requires that you represent your real identity, brand, or entity. Falsifying information about your age, name, or identity is strictly prohibited. YouTube will verify your identity using various factors, including the age of your channel.
- Have at Least 100,000 Subscribers: While 100,000 subscribers is the general requirement for channel verification, YouTube may consider verifying accounts with fewer subscribers on a case-by-case basis. If you are well-known outside of YouTube, such as a popular musician or influencer on other platforms, you may still have a chance to get verified. Reach out to YouTube for more information about this process.
How to Get Verified on YouTube without 100K Subs
While it’s rare, YouTube may verify a channel with fewer than 100,000 subscribers if it is well-known outside of the platform. For example, if you are an artist or content creator with a significant following on other social media platforms, YouTube might consider verifying your channel. If you believe you meet this criteria, it’s worth contacting YouTube directly to inquire about the verification process.
Steps for Verifying Your YouTube Account or Channel
The process of verifying your YouTube account or channel depends on whether you are seeking account verification or channel verification. Here are the steps for each:
- Visit the YouTube verification page
- Enter your phone number as prompted by YouTube.
- YouTube will send a verification number to your phone.
- Enter the verification number on the website to complete the account verification process.
- Once verified, you will have access to additional features and benefits on YouTube.
Channel Verification (YouTube Verification Badge)
- Ensure that you meet all the eligibility requirements for YouTube channel verification.
- Fill out the YouTube channel verification application, providing your channel name and ID. You can find your channel ID by clicking the link at the bottom of the application form or navigating to Settings > Advanced Settings in your YouTube account.
- Submit the completed application to YouTube for review.
- YouTube will assess your application, taking into account factors such as the age of your channel, your identity, the content you create, and your audience.
- You will receive a decision from YouTube regarding the verification of your channel within a few weeks.
- If approved, your channel will be granted a YouTube verification badge, which will display a checkmark beside your channel name across the platform.
Maintaining Your YouTube Channel Verification
Once you have obtained your YouTube verification badge, it’s crucial to adhere to YouTube’s guidelines to maintain your account’s good standing. To retain your verification badge, remember the following:
- Terms of Service and Community Guidelines: Ensure that you do not violate YouTube’s Terms of Service or Community Guidelines. Any breaches in these guidelines can result in the removal of your verification badge.
- Consistency in Channel Name: Avoid changing your channel name, as it may lead to the loss of your verification badge. Keeping a consistent channel name helps maintain brand recognition and trust with your audience.
- Channel Deletion and URL Changes: Deleting your channel or changing your URL can also result in the loss of your verification badge. Be mindful of any significant changes that could impact your channel’s integrity.
By following these guidelines, you can ensure that your YouTube channel verification remains intact, allowing you to continue enjoying the benefits of being a verified creator.
7 Tips to Become Eligible for YouTube Verification
If you haven’t yet reached the milestone of 100,000 subscribers or established a well-known presence outside of YouTube, here are seven tips to help you become eligible for YouTube channel verification:
- Choose an Outstanding Channel Name: Your channel name is one of the first things viewers see, so make it memorable and reflective of your content.
- Eye-Catching Profile Picture and Cover Photo: Invest in high-quality visuals for your profile picture and cover photo to create a strong and recognizable brand identity.
- Create Compelling Video Thumbnails: Thumbnails act as mini advertisements for your videos. Craft visually appealing and informative thumbnails that entice viewers to click and watch.
- Produce Engaging and Shareable Content: Focus on creating high-quality videos that captivate your audience. Great content has the potential to attract viewers, regardless of your subscriber count.
- Engage with the YouTube Community: Interact with other creators by leaving comments on their videos, collaborating on projects, and participating in YouTube groups and forums. Building a network within the YouTube community can help increase your visibility.
- Optimize for YouTube SEO: Implement effective SEO strategies to improve your videos’ visibility in search results. Research keywords, write compelling titles and descriptions, and use relevant tags to increase your chances of appearing in organic searches.
- Exercise Patience: Growing a successful YouTube channel takes time and dedication. Stay consistent, keep improving your content, and remain patient. With perseverance, you will eventually achieve your goal of being verified.
Becoming verified on YouTube offers numerous benefits, including increased trust with your viewers, access to additional features, and the ability to protect your content. Whether you are seeking account verification or channel verification, follow the steps outlined in this comprehensive guide to increase your chances of obtaining that coveted YouTube verification badge. Remember to maintain consistency and adhere to YouTube’s guidelines to retain your verification status. By implementing the tips provided, you can work towards eligibility for verification and enhance your YouTube presence in 2023 and beyond.
For more tips on growing your YouTube channel and maximizing your YouTube marketing strategy, check out our guide on how to promote your YouTube channel for even greater success.